Accommodation basis: Dinner, Bed & Breakfast included
(Bed linen, duvets and bath towels are provided but, no amenities in the rooms)
- Rooms 1 to 3 – Twin units – each room has a washbasin en-suite with sharing ablution facilities on outside (bucket shower and dry-eco toilet) – Room size 13 m2
- Room 4 – queensize bed – washbasin en-suite with sharing ablution facilities on outside (bucket shower and dry-eco toilet) – Room size 13m2
- 1 Deluxe double story unit – 1 queen size bed on upper floor and 1 single bed on ground floor, en-suite shower and washbasin with outside dry-eco toilet – Room size 20m2
- Family Room – on first floor, has a spectacular view – Family unit 1 queen size bed, 1 single bed, 1 bunkbed – sleeps maximum 4 adults and 1 child. Washbasin en-suite with sharing ablution facilities outside (bucket shower and dry-eco toilet) – Room size 31m2
- 6 Large Campsites
each campsite has its own bucket shower, a dry-eco toilet, potable water and a fire place.
– site 1-2 can take 2 vehicles each, sharing 2 pit toilets, 2 showers and the water tap
– site 3 can take 4 vehicles
– site 4 can take 1 vehicle and 1 tent
– site 5 can take 4 vehicles
– site 6 can take 1 vehicle and 1 tent
Camp Aussicht only takes cash, no credit card facilities are available
Camp Aussicht is situated on top of a hill overlooking Kaokoland. This small but very intimate establishment is far from any modern civilization. Only when you sit back in your camp chair, you realize how privileged you are to be part of the moment. Here it is all about the wilderness, solitude and inner peace. Forget Cellphone and Internet connectivity, uninterrupted tranquility and endless views of rugged mountains set the stage.
Camp Aussicht is rustic, constructed out of natural rock sourced from the area. Each of the rooms are surprisingly comfortable without frills but, offer the necessary luxuries one would not expect in such a remote location. Water is a scarce commodity; every drop is precious. When it rains, water is carefully collected in tanks and sparingly used in the everyday running of the camp and hosting of guests. Guests are so amazed with how little water one can shower and still feel clean. If you are environmentally conscious, you will gain new perspective of how effective water can be utilized as a natural resource. Camp Aussicht is one of the most environmentally sustainable camps in Namibia.
Marius Steiner is your personal host and guide. He has lived in the Kaokoland and Damaraland for the best part of his life and knows the area and its people like the back of his hand. Marius always aims to host each of his guests in the most personal way possible. He is a one man show who leaves a lasting impression on his guests who often return more than once.
Except for the many indigenous bird species that frequent the camp throughout the day, nocturnal animals such as African porcupine, African wild cat, civet, genets, caracal, jackal and leopard may occasionally be spotted while they silently slip through the camp; hunting smaller critters. Close to the camp is a small dioptase mine (it is an intense emerald-green to bluish-green copper cyclosilicate mineral) only found in parts of Namibia, Russia and Arizona. The mine is partly open cast and underground. Mr Steiner senior who passed away in 2014 was a geologist who mined minerals for many years in the Kaokoland. His son Marius later joined him and learnt the technique of mining minerals from his father. Camp Aussicht “Camp View” has always been a place where family and friends get together to escape the city; get close to nature and enjoy quality time together. Camp Aussicht is a midway stop between Palmwag and Epupa. Marius still enjoys excavating his small mine and sharing his deep knowledge with guests who are interested in his way of living.
- Damara and Kaokoland – be prepared for some serious off-road driving
- Visit Himba and Herero communities about 15km from Camp Aussicht. Marius is a local advisor, conservationist and conducts guided tours to the remote villages for visitors who wish to gain a deeper insight of the local`s culture (Himba excursions are only conducted in the mornings) The excursion departs at 09.15 from the lodge and returns at 13h00. Advanced reservation necessary. The maximum group size is 10.
- Visit the dioptase underground + open-cast mine and mineral collecting site. The site is in walking distance (5 minutes). Guests are welcome to linger at the site while they self-explore the minerals deposits
- Bird watching is phenomenal. Red billed hornbills are fed 3x a day around 10, 14 and 17 hours
- Feeding of the porcupines every evening around 19.30 on the lodge terrace
- Several walking trails around the lodge can be done un-guided
- Enjoy stunning views of the surrounding landscape from the top of the look-out platform situated 1,650m above sea level
Driving from the South:
From Palmwag to Camp Aussicht it’s 150 km north on the C43. From the junction to Sesfontein it is 48km to the turnoff to Camp Aussicht. A signboard on the right-hand side gives you the direction. Follow the small gravel road to the camp for about 7km
Driving from the North:
From the C41 at Opuwo, turn left on the C43 gravel road direction Sesfontein and continue for appr. 80 km. Camp Aussicht is indicated on both sides of the road. Follow the gravel road to the camp for about 5km.
High clearance or 4×4 vehicle is recommended for the 5 – kilometer road to the camp
S 18 41 610
E 13 44 582
+264 65 685 125